Venga is a rapidly growing globalization service provider offering a full range of language, localization, and multimedia services geared toward internationalizing products, content, and services for multilingual markets. We are seeking to hire a DTP and Localization Engineer to join our global team, working closely with the production and engineering teams in both Europe, Asia and the Americas time zones.
This position is best suited for a multidisciplinary person that will be supporting production needs, stepping in to solve any technical challenges anyone in the company faces, and to develop, implement and document solutions to help other teams help themselves in the future. The Engineering team is also a key player in improving processes, running pilot initiatives and keeping our technology landscape up-to-date. Sometimes you will be asked to join the task force on a given project whereas other times you will be spearheading the initiative yourself. In both scenarios, you will be expected to proactively collect others’ feedback as well as to speak your mind and discuss potential issues before they occur.
If that sounds like you, please read below, and get in touch!
- Quoting of files
- Assessing production and sales teams on any DTP and e-learning related matters
- Preparing localization friendly files
- Fixing the layout of translated files
- Performing a quality check on the files before delivery
- Contacting and booking external resources
- Acting as a point of contacts for the production and sales teams, often spreading across different time zones
- Taking ownership of the projects
- Working in collaboration with other teams within Venga on projects that require an integrated approach (production team, engineering team, etc)
- Undertaking general admin duties like issuing purchase orders
- Analysis of web sites, applications, and file sets for localization potential and time/material requirements
- Automation of analysis and file parsing and filtering, plus several other related activities
- Re-engineering of some components (re-coding, and other technical changes to accommodate localization-related adjustments, script writing, as required)
- Ensure compliance with clients’ requirements and integrity of data
- Interface and coordinate with project management and art-graphics personnel, sales and customers; provide input to pre-sale planning and estimating of projects
- Provide support to production and sales management, as required
- Evaluate and prepare project deliverables (software, help, docs, websites and others) for translation following set quality standards; this process typically includes the use of CAT tools as well as writing instructions for translators
- Resize, format, test, deliver and back up the project deliverables following set quality standards.
- Thoroughly follow highly complex processes, ensuring quality results
- Test software functionality, which typically includes filling out a bug report
- Process completed bug reports and investigate and fix bugs
- Complete own projects on time and in line with quality standards.
- Provide daily feedback to the Engineering Team Lead on status of project tasks
- Manage Translation Memories.
- Coordinate, support and QA projects outsourced to external engineering resources.
- Provide support for colleagues in other departments or freelance translators on CAT tools
- Effective troubleshooting on translation assets so the translation process is not affected by any engineering issues.
- Advanced knowledge of DTP and e-learning tools, such as:
MS Office, Adobe InDesign, Adobe Illustrator, Adobe Photoshop, Articulate Storyline and Adobe Captivate
- Proficiency with Office and presentation applications (Word, PowerPoint, Keynote.)
- Experience working as a DTP specialist in localization companies
- Experience managing multilingual projects
- A language or design degree (or similar)
- Fluent in English. Other languages will also be valued
- An understanding of different cultures and consumers around the world
- An appetite for producing the best quality work in all disciplines
- Organized and detail-oriented
- Ability to quickly learn new software applications and skills.
- A habit of documenting processes in order to increase everyone’s efficiency and reduce time waste and knowledge silos.
- Positive, “can do” attitude, seasoned with caution and common sense.
Things that would make you shine:
- Experience in the localization industry.
- Experience with desktop publishing tools like InDesign, Illustrator, Photoshop, etc.
- Experience with CAT tools.